Monday, June 3, 2013

New Dreams

After much research and serious thought about the art store I so desperately wanted, I finally realized it wasn't what I really wanted, so I stopped. I just stopped working on everything related to the business. There was just so much I had already done so I partially feel I've wasted time that could have been spent elsewhere, but I think it helped me analyze my situation better and recognize what I really wanted to do. I really miss art, my own art, and school. I'm looking more into graduate school so that I can teach.

I've been struggling with graduate schools for photography. Tuition is expensive, living costs are expensive, and even if I managed to get an assistantship my first year, it probably wouldn't cover the cost of everything I need to pay for. I really debated UNM in Albuquerque, NM, but making up 15 hours of Art History courses  would be ridiculous just to go to graduate school. I'd considered OU in Norman, OK for a while, but for some reason I didn't feel impressed.

Of all places though, I'm drawn to University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, AR. There doesn't seem to be anything spectacular about the program (other than in-state tuition seems more achievable) but I feel like I fit there. I didn't really meet any faculty other than the chair or even any students, but I still feel like that's probably where I should be.

As much as I hate the idea of moving and the costs associated, I'm looking for jobs more closely related to what I want to do in Arkansas. Hopefully, I'll find find at least a decent job, move to Arkansas, apply and be accepted to the graduate program at U of A and then be able to move to Fayetteville and get in-state tuition. I've found some prospective jobs already, but I just need to do some updates to my portfolio, website, and resume first. Crossing my fingers already that everything works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment